In today’s big world of ever-changing trends, it is nearly impossible to establish and grow a company without a website. Thanks to the internet, we can now connect to businesses and customers from any corner of the world. If you are looking to get a domain and website for your business, then you’ve landed on the right page. This article will assist you in getting your domain name and help you choose from the 5 best domain name registrars in Australia.
Parts of Domain
A domain name has two parts:
- Top Level Domain (TLD) – It is found to the right side of the dot, which in most cases is “.com”. This is usually known as the parent domain and usually gives visitors an idea about the owner. For instance, .gov is used by government websites and .org for non-profit organizations. Other TLDs like .au, .uk, .us, .ca also indicate the location where the website owner is from.
- Second Level Domain – It is found to the left side of the dot. It holds the unique identity of the owner like a business name, the owner’s name, or what the person does.
How do you register a domain name?
Domain names are regulated by Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers or ICANN. You can register your domain through an ascribed list of domain registrars on the ICANN website. The fee for your domain name will be determined bythe registrar you choose. Keep in mind that web hosting is independent of registering your domain name. You can even register your domain name with a domain register without having to use the registrar’s web hosting services. Let’s discuss a few steps on how do you register your domain name:
- Selection– Select your registrar or web hosting service. Remember to do complete research about their hosting policies and pricing. You can check on ICANN as it has a list of reputable domain registrars.
- Search– Search for the suitable domain name. Your chosen registrar should provide an availability checker, which you can use to know if a domain name is available. The advantage of the availability checker is that it will offer you suggestions for alternative domains if yours is already taken.
- Apply– Once you’ve found the apt domain names, fill out the forms. You will be asked for your personal information and contact details to complete your profile for the database. You can choose whether you want your profile to be public or private.
- Payment– Prices for the domain names will be mentioned during the availability check. Depending on which web host or registrar you select, you may be able to get your domain for free by buying a hosting package. After payment, you can use your domain name right away or keep it until you’re ready to launch your own website.
- Link domain and website– Using a domain manager; enter the name of your web host’s primary and secondary servers into your registrar’s settings for your domain. This method will link your domain name to your website.
- Keepsafe– Keep safe your domain if you don’t have a website. Your domain registrar can park your domain name using a temporary website setup for you. Parking a domain means keeping safe and reserved the particular website address until you have your own website created to use with the name.
Some host and registrars will only register domain names with certain Top Level Domains, so you may need to check their options before signing up.
How much does it cost to register a domain name in Australia?
There are a number of factors that affect the cost of registering a domain name.
- The choice of TLD– Some Top Level Domains is more expensive than others. The most common domains are .com, .biz and .org. The cost of your domain depends on the type of TLD you choose.
- Words and length– If you opt to use popular keywords or phrases in your domain names, then it would cost you a bit extra than others. The length of words and word combinations play a huge role in determining the cost of a domain.
- Duration– On an average, registering a domain name for one year costs somewhere between $2 and $20. Renewing a domain may cost around $4 more than registration. It is always advised to get your domain name registered for 2-3 years to avoid the renewal cost.
- The extras– Add onsmakes your bill a bit heavier. You are free to subscribe to addons for your domain name but they come with additional cost. Domain privacy and web hosting are the most popular ad ons chosen by people around the world.
- Buying a Pre-owned domain– It is possible to buy a domain that is currently owned by someone else in a bidding process, but it costs more than registering a new domain.
- Domain registrar discounts – At times, domain registrars do offer discounts. A domain name that would usually cost around $10-13 per year can go down to as low as $2-3 per year during the season of special discounts.
Best domain name registrar in Australia
1. Crazy Domains
Crazy domains is one of the best domain name registrars in Australia. Established in 2000, Crazy domains is now a leading domain name registrar not only in Australia but also in Europe, India and the Middle East. “When Crazy Domains was launched, it came out to be a cut-price domain provider to take over the larger competitors,” says Mark Evans, CEO of Dreamscape Networks. It allows the user to manage and connect instantly to cloud web hosting, email hosting, online marketing services and more. Crazily good prices & Crazy deals, Crazy Domains is a portal to call home for millions of customers and domains. They help startups, SMEs and larger established businesses go from good to legendary.
Domain.com is a popular domain registrar that provides affordable hosting options along with useful tools for small businesses and blogs. They strive to provide the rarest combination, high-quality products, reliability, and some of the most attractive prices in the industry. They specialize in inexpensive domain names, web hosting, VPS hosting, SSL certificates, web design, Email, and online marketing services. Their free domain services include email forwarding, transfer lock, URL forwarding, Total DNS management, and much more.
Bluehost, also known as, web host, is another popular domain name registrar in Australia. If you’re planning on buying hosting at the same time you register your domain name, then Bluehost might be a good option for you. When you purchase one of their hosting packages, you’ll get a free domain name. So, if you need to buy hosting and a domain at the same time, Bluehost could be the best option to save a little bit of cash. Bluehost has a stellar customer support team and are available 24/7, 365 days a year.
4. Google Domains
Launched in 2015, Google Domains is currently in the beta stage. You can claim, register or manage your domain names with Goggle domains but they do not provide complementary services like hosting. The process of creating a domain name is easy, smooth and transparent. Every domain name comes with private registration (no extra cost), swift integration, custom email, management tools, email forwarding, and customer support.
Namecheap is a great choice for registering your domain name. They offer affordable priced domains and have a free DNS service, WHOIS protection, and SSL encryption. Namecheap has a fast and easy-to-use checkout process, and also have a helpful knowledgebase if you do run into any troubles.
In the end,
A Domain name is your online identity, and it must be carefully chosen or created. With billions of domains names already registered, it might be difficult to come up with a unique domain name. All you have to do is look more carefully the availability and uniqueness of your domain name. There are several domain name registrars available to provide you services but, you have to select the best which is cost-effectiveness, user-friendly and suits best to your business needs.